+44 (0)208 991 1490


Available Online

Mon - Fri: 9am- 5pm

Showing: 1 - 1 of 1 RESULTS

Are you an emotional eater?


Do you tend to eat the feel-good foods like chocolate, when you’re feeling under the weather, are you an emotional eater? Eating these foods, releases chemicals that signal the neurotransmitters to make you feel good. You may feel momentarily good, but will pay the price, when the blood sugar spikes and stresses your endocrine system.

Protecting the Brain

Protecting the brain from depression by not eating junk or processed foods. Supporting blood sugar dips, by eating healthier foods, such as vegetables and fruits. It is always advisable to choose fruits that are naturally low in fructose.

Having low levels of GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid) a neurotransmitter that blocks impulses between nerve cells in the brain), particularly if feeling anxiety for no reason, or inner tension and worry.  GABA is the main neurotransmitter of the nervous system that has an inhibitory effect, it turns off your nervous system rather than being switched on.

Glucose and blood sugar

Glucose helps the body make GABA, focusing on blood sugar imbalances, such as hypoglycaemia or insulin resistance will limit the production of GABA.

There are things you can do to increase GABA receptors in the brain.  This will have positive results on moods, for example increasing beneficial bacteria in the gut, will help in minimising systemic infection, which can show up years later in the form of serious neurodegeneration, like diseases such as:

  • Alzheimer
  • dementia autoimmune disorders.

Fermented Foods

Eating fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kefir contain healthy bacteria, which help repopulate the gut with the good bacteria. Doing things to support your digestive system will have a direct impact on both your mental and physical health, including mood improvement. Did you know that 90% of serotonin in the body is in the gut? The remaining 10% is synthesised in the central nervous system.  Serotonin can modulate motility in the gut, causing constipation or diarrhoea, when levels are imbalanced.  It’s important to maintain gut health and balance the body which in time will help those who have gotten into a cycle of eating when they feel emotionally low.

If you’d like to discuss this further do contact me.